Monday, August 14, 2006

SISTER TO SISTER and PIONEER TRAIL


My granddaughter tried to help me get photos of the two quilts I just got back from my quilter. They are not bound yet, as you may see. It was quite breezy today, but sometimes photos that aren't quite perfect look more interesting to me.

The quilt on the left I made for Lisa, the Hong Kong exchange student. I hope she likes it. I am having second thoughts about giving it away! I came up with this design plan using the Sister's Choice block with a simple applique border and 9-patches in the corners. The medium blue is that Jo Morton print from Little Women with the faces on it. Then for the vine I used the reverse side of the fabric so it shows solid, and allows the color to match. I named it Sister to Sister, which is a play on words with the Sister's Choice block and Lisa and my granddaughters becoming like sisters.

The quilt on the right is one I brought out of the closet a couple weeks ago and decided it had seasoned long enough, so I added the borders and sent it off to be quilted. I named it Pioneer Trail. The Shoo Fly blocks reminded me of wagon wheels and the zig zag setting gives the impression of winding roads--well, at least to me it does! My quilter made the "trail" look like washboard roads, with the illusion of ridges. She did a great job! I think I will use this one as a class this fall. It always feels so good to get my quilts back quilted and ready to love!

19 comments:

Silverthimble said...

I agree with you. Sometimes the stories about the "quilt hangers" are just as interesting as seeing the quilts.

Melanie said...

I keep trying to pick which quilt is my favorite--- I can't...I think the borders and sashing make both stand out.
Melanie

Melzie said...

They are both very beautiful :) I am still a quilt newbie and I had to really study to find the shoo-fly blocks LOL on point always throws me off! It changes the look dramatically. xoxo melzie

Joyce said...

Both quilts are beautiful but I have a thing for blue so I guess I prefer Sister to Sister. It is hard to give some quilts away, especially if they are going far away. So far I have only given to family so I can see them often. (The quilts as well as the family. Lol.)

Patti said...

Two wonderful scrappy quilts. These are my very most favorite kinds of quilts. Love the pictures with your granddaughter - you are right in that a bit more casualness (is that a word?) in the pictures is fun sometimes.

Gail said...

Two outstanding quilts, I'm not sure, but I may like the Sister to Sister better because of the secondary chaining of the black and white 4 patches.

Mary Johnson said...

I like both of them. I'm not usually a fan of the Sister's Choice block but I like the setting you used and the applique border.

Libby said...

Both quilts are beauties. What a special treat to recieve the Sister to Sister quilt as a gift.

Bonnie said...

Both quilts are very, very nice. In fact, since you posted them on August 14, which is my birthday, I think it would be great if you gave them to me! :)
It would be hard to decide, but I think I like the Pioneer Trail the best. The setting is so colorful, and the final scrappy border pulls it all together. I'd take one of your classes if you lived closer!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love them both, but Pioneer Trail is my favorite! I absolutely love it!

ForestJane said...

I think they both look wonderful!

Susan said...

I love both quilts! The Sister's Choice is my favorite block, and Shoo-fly is becoming more favorite all the time. It's such a speedy little block and looks great in whatever colors, or just scraps.

Shelina said...

These are both great quilts. I especially like the border treatment on both of them. I usually just do one or two plain borders. I'm going to have to take my time and do real borders like you do.
If you look at pictures of quilts in magazines and books, you will see that they deliberately fold or somehow arrange the quilt so you don't see it all as a flat surface. I like looking at them that way too - adds more interest.

Granny said...

Both quilts are beautiful. I'm sure Lisa will love her quilt.

I love the chain that formed with the Sister's Choice blocks.

Judy L.

Finn said...

Both quilts are just beautiful Marcie!! Love them both..and I would have a hard time giving it alway also..*VBS* But if you do, I'm sure she will love it, it's a beauty!!

Great pic of the little one and her quilt, so sorry to hear about the ear infection. Two of mine had that going on most of their childhood. Tubes finally cured it, but what an ordeal to go through.

I am seeing your bird salvia post just fine. But I have similar problem with seeing stuff I post on mine not showing up. Who knows???

Glad you get to stay longer, bummer about the money part tho..hope you get to some of those great MN quilt shops!

Anonymous said...

they're both lovely!

Joanne said...

Great quilts -- I like the "something going on" pictures better too -- especially with people in them!

Pam said...

Don't you just hate it when something turns out so nicely that you have a hard time giving it away? My gma always said the best gift to give is the one you wanna keep...I guess this is the best gift you can give your exchange student. It is beautiful.

Tazzie said...

I just love both those quilts, isn't it amazing how traditional blocks always make such lovely quilts, and your colour choices are just perfect!
Well done!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)