Thursday, September 04, 2008

WHAT IS OLD IS NEW AGAIN!




Most of you know the Beckster by now--my 19 year old granddaughter who is now beginning her sophomore year at BYU. Her parents just moved to Missoula, MT, so Becky went to see them in their new home. While there she asked her mom if she could take the quilt on little sister's bed back to college with her. Her mom said, "NO, but you can take your own quilt". Becky didn't even remember what it looked like!


Well, here is the story: I made this quilt for her in 1993. Becky put on a big smile, as the photo shows, but later her mom apologetically told me that Becky didn't want to use the quilt. Really, I didn't mind. I told her to put it away and someday she might want it. When Becky went off to college I did not make her a quilt. I figured that if the day came when she wanted a quilt she would tell me. Turns out that when her mom got the quilt out that I had made years ago, Becky loved it! Well heck, it IS just like new! A happy ending for everyone!


You know I love scrappy quilts and when I first got into quiltmaking I learned this wonderful technique that Sally Schneider developed, that she calls Mary's Triangles. Becky's quilt was made using that method. I have taught it in many classes and, for me, it never grows old. It has a ton of variations. This is what the block looks like. Can you find it in the quilt?



Other family news is that my father finally decided to write on his blog again. Last time he wrote on it was in March 08! Well, since that time Google has gotten serious about having a Google account in order to have a blog. We could not get into that blog for anything. So I opened a Google account for him and a new blog! He has already written two posts. I know a few of you out there have enjoyed his stories, so if you want to read his blog, it has been updated. Also, I have created a link to it on my sidebar down below the Babes in Blogland, that will show when he updates it.
Give him a thrill and leave a comment!


Have a happy scrappy day!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad your GD is finally using the quilt! It is a nice one :o)

StitchinByTheLake said...

Love the quilt Marcie - so bright and cheerful. Won't it be great in a dorm room! Wish I knew the method for Mary's Triangles - I like that block but it never comes out the right size for me. blessings, marlene

Wendy said...

What a sweet story of you GD quilt being new again. It will be that much more special second time around.
Gotta go and check out your fathers blog.

Karen said...

Hi Marcie, I love scrappy quilts, too. As for quilts being put away and not used...When I visited my dad about a month ago in CA I asked him if I could get a picture of the rag quilt that I made him about 5 years ago. He had put it in a pillow case and not used it since I gave it to him. Said that he didn't want anything to happen to it. I told him the more he used it the better it would get. I hope he kept it out;)
Karen aka Grammy Mac

sewprimitive karen said...

Great story, Marcie, and it's a happy quilt now that it's being used. What a great photo and such a clever block, I love how you did that.

Liz said...

What a cute quilt for Becky! I'm glad that she's grown to love it! Isn't it funny how our tastes change?
I searched the quilt picture and found the block! What a great idea! SOMEDAY, I'm going to come and take one of your classes and you can teach me all of your secrets.
How wonderful that your Dad is back to blogging...I love to read his stories. Having known him for so many years, it's almost like reading a blog from my own father (not that we'll ever get HIM to blog!)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love the fact that Beckster has rediscovered the joy of that lovely quilt. Great post! I'll check out Dad's blog, so glad he's reappeared!

Libby said...

That's a pretty snappy little method you've got there. So glad that the quilt was just waiting for the moment the Beckster needed it *s*

Mar said...

I would have never thought that quilt was made of that block! What a surprise!

~Niki~ said...

I love scrap quilts!

Karen said...

Kids are funny, huh! I know that "Mary's Triangles" block. Took a class many years ago that was focused on that block. Fun!
I will pop over to your dad's blog.

Unknown said...

yay! i love the quilt in my room, i'm so excited to have it.
that picture is fun, too, I don't remember ever seeing that either!