Sunday, July 04, 2010

Happy Birthday America!

I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
by Lee Greenwood 
 
I get chills when I hear this, or any other patriotic song! Back in the 1950's, when Ike was president, we were raised to be proud of our flag and our country and our history and we pledged our devotion to the flag, right along with our devotion to God and family. This day, July 4th, seems to bring that all back to me as we all join together and celebrate and wave our flags and feel thankful for the things that unite us. Happy Birthday America!
 I love to bring out the red, white and blue quilts this time of year. The colors always please me. I am happy to report that the quilt on the left, Homeport, will be shown in the American Quilter Magazine that is coming out this month. It is a pattern that I designed a few years ago and my friend, Kim McWherten, was asked by the magazine if they could publish the one that she made. I look forward to seeing the magazine and Kim's quilt!

This is another favorite that has adorned our deck each summer. Even in the summertime there are cool breezes and naps to be taken out in the fresh air, so we must have our quilts available.


Enjoy a wonderful weekend, whatever you are up to!




10 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Happy 4th, Marcie, your deck is gorgeous with all the red white and blue quilts!! I am so happy for you about the Homeport pattern getting magazine-published. You rock!

Janet said...

What lovely quilts in your post today. Happy 4th of July to you!

Karen said...

I like your display of patriotic quilts. I have a couple but want more. I had thought I would get to it this past spring but time got away from me.

onlymehere said...

You can bet I'll be looking for this magazine! I love the patriotic quilts too. I haven't been quilting long enough to have made more than my recently finished top "Flying Free" but I'm excited for next year when it will be back from the quilters and I can display it. Maybe I'll even have time to make your pattern that will be in the magazine! Love it!

Michelle said...

Congratulations on your quilt in a magazine! I will definitely be looking for that one. Hope you had a wonderful July 4th!

Angie said...

Happy 4th of July, Marcie! Your quilts are gorgeous---and CONGRATULATIONS! on your pattern being in the AQM!! I can't wait to get it. :)

AnnieO said...

Congrats on the newest magazine pattern. That's a great quilt, love the flag center in the star medallion.

julieQ said...

I am just so proud that you have a pattern published in American Quilter! Love your patriotic quilts, and hope you had a wonderful holiday.

Anonymous said...

I wish that I had some red white and blue quilts too!! I love the sail boats! xoxo j

Karen said...

My computer was sick on the 4th so I missed your post but I'm glad I caught it. Gorgeous quilts!